Tuesday, August 18, 2009

More Cash For Clunkers Unintended Consequences: Indian Country

Cash for Clunkers seems destined to own an unfavorable paragraph or two in future economic principles textbooks. This aspect is brought to my attention by frequent TPS commentator Jason Oberle. Here is his writing on the subject and here is an article he points us to from the Navajo Times.

Jason emphasizes the important role of salvage parts in "Indian Cars." Apparently, reservation life is particularly harsh on cars, so these vehicles are supplemented continuously with major parts from salvaged vehicles. C4C requires that the clunker being traded in is required to be destroyed. Jason suspects that, on the margin, this will increase transportation costs in Indian Country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NY dealers are pulling out since the gov't is not reimbursing them in a timely manner.

Anonymous said...

Good day!

The name's Dennis, though most people call me 'Freaky'. :P I'm in my "teens" and kinda lost in the world at the moment...however, I've found the hippie "culture" and discovered that it fits me very well...I'm not trying to fit into it, it just kind of fitted onto me.
I have lots of questions, which hopefully some of the older and wiser people on this board will be able to help answer.
Here's to hoping this board will be able to help me discover more of myself and fuel my beliefs.

Keep smiling, Dennis from [url=http://www.myonlinepayday.com]Personal Loans[/url] website!